Wednesday, November 2, 2011

update-ish and weird dr story

So the only things I can get on to are email and blogger, so it kind of cuts out time wasters like facebook and pinterest, which is a little annoying and I get a litte bored. I did a quick update on Facebook using Julie's phone yesterday and now I'm curious to see the million responses that I'm sure have entrailed. Well, most family know the little bit of updates we've had (which aren't much today). The drs are pretty baffled by my body. My blood tests have gone back to normal levels, I don't have any more pain, I don't fit any of the normal risk factors for pre-clampsia, etc, but then the 24 hr urine tests were off the charts for severe preclampsia. (300-5000 is considered preclampsia, anything above 5000 is severe, I was in the 6000 range). Today, since I had been doing so well otherwise they cut my magnesium dosage down in 1/2 today, which was wonderful. It made me really weak and contributed to the blurred vision, which is much better now. It was really a relaxing day. Libby and my mom came for a few hours this morning which was awesome. Brittany and Evalyn stopped by for a bit and Richard came for awhile (where we were once again unsuccessful at naming this child). I watched some movies and was generally pampered all day by the wonderful nursing staff. Last night I got a blessing and all the drs and nurses have been pretty reassuring and good at explaining things to me so I feel pretty calm about the whole ordeal and I feel like everything is going to be fine. My blood pressure is still a bit higher than normal, but mostly stablizing, and I feel pretty relaxed. The day went by really fast.

So one of the drs here is really socially awkward and has horrible bedside manner. One of the times he was asking how I was doing he started asking me about heartburn. During my 1st pregnancy I had horrible heartburn everynight for more than 1/2 the pregnancy. This pregnancy, I've had a little but not every night and not as bad on the nights i've had it. I explained this to the dr when he asked and he wanted to know what I took for it (tums). Then he wanted to prescribe something a little better that would be more effective and was trying to tell me the horrible stabbing pain I had was related to my heartburn and he was going to get me medicine. I was confused and insisted this was not heartburn. Luckily no one ever brought me any heartburn meds b/c I would have probably refused. He also will just stare at me for long periods of time without saying anything, it's super awkward and I witnesses who agree to the uncomfortablness, so it's not just me being awkward. Yesterday I think it was, he came in and stared at me for awhile when I had a bunch of visitors here and finally was like "so you're feeling good now?". The nurse was standing right there and promptly replied "look at her, does she look like she's feeling good? no, she feels like crap!" it made me laugh a little and I'm glad she was there. It's not like I was dying in pain or anything, but obviously I'm not feeling great if I'm in the hospital on bedrest. I don't think he really said anything else the whole time he was here either. It was weird. Anyways, the other dr I see is much more relateable and easy to talk to, so I'm trying to request him to deliver me. I'm sure they are both competent and good doctors, just one may lack a few social skills.

5 comments:

  1. Well we are glad you are feeling better! The doctor we had with Addie was kind of a social wack job too. When I saw him for appointments, he would talk for half an hour about random memories from his past (like his son's baseball game)at what should have been a 5 minute appointment. I could see his waiting room full of people and he would just keep rambling. And then he lectured us severely on how we should name our kids a respectable family name...after we told him we were naming her Addie. I wish I would have dropped him after the first appointment. But anyway, if you do get real heartburn again, my (new) doctor told me I could take OTC prilosec, and it was sooooo fabulous. I had super bad heartburn with both, and once I started taking prilosec during the last month or two with Carter, it completely went away. It came back if I missed a dose even for a day, so I'm a big believer in prilosec now:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds... well pretty awful actually. But I'm glad you are feeling better than you were, and hopefully it will stabilize and your baby won't have to come so soon!

    Also I'm sorry you're so bored! When I was in the hospital for 2 days, I was bored out of my mind (I remember the boredom more than I remember having the baby :P ) Just hang in there Becky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for keeping us updated. I was wondering how things were

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Becky!!!
    I heard you had your sweet little baby- Congrats!!! If you have any questons about premature babies or the NICU experience- just give me a call!!! Grayson was 10 weeks early and had to stay in the NICU for 2 months- so any questions you have- feel free to ask me:)
    (360) 286-5199- Arielle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Becky!
    I hope all is going well, I would love to hear how things are going when you get a chance. Our prayers are with you and your sweet baby boy!
    Love You All!!

    ReplyDelete